This is not the first pumpkin recipe I post, but it is my first EVER ice cream recipe that I’m posting and sharing with you guys, and I must say I have been selfish lately, I’ve been making some wonderful things in the my kitchen and not sharing (will soon) but its all for the good of my cooking and baking experiences and getting back into the swing of things. Pumpkin Swirled caramel ice cream is out of this world delicious and honestly I love my ice cream maker.
Its such an amazing piece of equipment to have in the kitchen, especially during the summer time, I can just whip up an Ice cream or a sorbet anytime I please its awesome I love it~though I’ve only use it twice now~I will be using it more but back to my pumpkin Ice cream, its delicious and decadent and recalls all the flavors of pumpkin pie~but in a creamy Ice cream form~its smooth and silky and cold and the added caramel its just the most delectable Ice cream I’ve made yet~as you well know from all the pumpkin recipes I’ve posted before~I look forward to pumpkin season every year and this is no exception this year as I will be posting more~THAT’S RIGHT~ more pumpkin recipes this year. Stay tuned and try to make Ice cream at home~its fun and easy and soo many possibilities to when you have an ice cream maker at hand.
Pumpkin Ice Cream With Caramel swirl
- Homemade Caramel
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of salt(optional for salted caramel)
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 Milk (whole or 2 percent your choice)
- 2 Cup heavy cream
- 5 Large Egg yolks room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Spice Morsels (optional)
- For Homemade Caramel
- In Medium Saucepan, add 1 cup of sugar evenly on medium low heat, watch the pot as sugars starts to melt using a fork or a wooden spoon move the sides of the sugar to the middle, swirl the pot for the sugar to evenly melt, once all the sugar has melted and has turned to a deep dark amber color remove pot from the heat and slowly pour heavy cream (it will bubble up vigorously) whisking till the caramel is smooth, add in butter and whisk till it melts, then add in vanilla extract and salt if making salted caramel
- Note: if caramel hardens at any time just put it back on the stove on low heat and whisking the caramel till all the caramel is smooth. Set aside, for the pumpkin Ice cream.
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Heat milk in Sauce pan in medium low heat. Prepare an Ice bath and set a 2-quart bowl over a larger bowl filled partially with ice water and set a strainer over the smaller bowl. Whisk egg yolks and brown sugar till pale in color and sugar has dissolve, Gradually pour warm milk over yolk mixture, whisking gradually, pour the milk back to the sauce pan and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes till custard is thicken and coats the back of the spoon, strain over the bowl of the Ice bath, add pumpkin puree, Pumpkin spice and heavy cream and whisk till the pumpkin puree is incorporated and the custard is cool, Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for several hours or over nigh.
- Pour the ice cream into the frozen bowl and churn the ice cream according to your ice cream makers instruction, rewarm the caramel in microwave for 10-20 seconds, when Ice cream is still soft pour half of ice cream to a resealable container, add the half of the caramel and swirl with a knife, add the rest of the ice cream and caramel and swirled the caramel on top using your the knife to make more swirls, Place in freezer for at least 24 hours before serving.
- Note: My Ice Cream maker took 20 minutes for the Pumpkin Ice cream to churn. Some of the caramel might mix into Pumpkin Ice Cream so Make the swirls fast and freeze immediately. I added 1 Cup of Pumpkin Spice Morsels while it was churning that I found at target on their Halloween aisle is optional~adds more pumpkin to the Ice cream.