It’s 2015, a new year, it’s chilly and cold, the days are shorter and I’m pretty sure that some of YOU have started on your new years resolution, well I hope that you keep your new years resolution this year and not let it fall through what ever it is, well mine are always been the same every year, you know stay healthy, make better food choices ( which is always a fail HAHAHA) and staying active ( at least doing push ups 2 times a week) and posting more new recipes well at least two of these resolutions are sticking with me so far and what better way to start the new year with a new recipe that is ABSOLUTELY perfect for these cold winter days with my Hot & Sour Pork Soup.
Pieces of ground pork in a broth of sour soup, that will just warm your hands and your stomach and breaks away from your typical fair of soup, with Shiitake Mushrooms and tofu, its a hearty soup that requires few ingredients and its easy to make, I mean if are like ME sometimes even the typical soup can get very mundane and you want something that’s a bit different and I’m sure most of you have tried this soup in Chinese restaurant well~here is a recipe that comes close and when I say close, by far this recipe is EXACTLY like the ones Ive had in my favorite Chinese restaurants that I go to with my cousin.
- 1 Pound ground pork
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 32 oz chicken broth(low sodium preferred)
- 1 1/2 Cup water
- 6 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 Tablespoons white wine vinegar separated
- 1 Teaspoon ground white pepper separated
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper(optional)
- 1 Teaspoon finely mince ginger
- 3/4 lb firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 8 oz Shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 large russet potato peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 Egg beaten lightly
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame oil
- Tofu: drain and discard all the access water from the tofu,line a baking sheet with parchment paper and line it with paper towels about 4 layers, Set aside, cut tofu into 3 squares and place in the baking sheet a few inches apart, place more paper towels on top of the tofu about 4 layers and place another baking sheet on top, use heavy can soups or thick heavy books to weight down on the tofu for 30 minutes, cut into cubes and set aside.
- Place ground pork in a medium bowl and add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, mix well with hand or wooden spoon and let it sit in room temperature for 15 minutes to marinate. In a 4 quart saucepan mix together water, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar, mince ginger,cornstarch and cayenne, bring to a boil over medium low heat, take 1/2 cup of hot soup and pour over ground pork and using a wooden spoon break up the ground pork to chucks and pour over the soup, add dice potato and stir occasionally until thicken about 30 minutes, add the last 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and white wine vinegar, and white pepper. Stir in the tofu and cook for another 15 minutes, with out stirring slowly drizzle egg into simmering soup in thin steady stream. When Egg strands float add 1 Teaspoon of sesame oil and ready to serve.