18 May, 2015
Pork Braised In Red Wine
The thing about braising is that its one of the most easiest cooking method in the kitchen, I mean to boil a tough cut of meat like pork shoulder and adding tons of vegetables and flavoring to tenderize the meat with its own juices and infusing the meat it with other flavors its really just an amazing and the result of patience is a rewarding and flavorful dish that just falls of the bone when you take a your fist bite~Its pure bliss~now my braise pork in red wine is dish that I tried to replicate from the one that I had a on a trip to Disney World In Orlando Florida~Be out guest is a Beauty and the beast inspired theme restaurant and in their menu they had dish called Braised Pork~I fell in love with it soo much that as soon as I got home I was trying to recreate the recipe to make at home by taste~and I think I came pretty close, I mean it has the full bodied favor from the red wine, a smokey yet spicy taste from the red bell peppers and bacon, herds of Thyme, Rosemary and fresh Bay leaf, its mouth watering dish that is elegant and easy to make in the kitchen and worth wait.
- 3-3.5 pounds of Pork shoulder cut into medium chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive oil (for browning)
- 4 thick pieces of bacon diced
- 1 Medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 Medium Carrots chopped
- 2 8 oz packaged of Slice baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Rosemary
- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- 1 Fresh Bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 Cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- Your Favorite
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a dutch oven on medium heat, add 1 tablespoons of olive oil, season pork shoulders with salt and pepper on all sides and brown the pork shoulders on all sides in batches, set aside.
- Get rid of the oil and on medium heat render the fat off Bacon, then drain cook bacon with paper towel line plate, set aside. Add Yellow Onion and cook for a minute, add the carrots and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes till mushrooms are soften, add red bell peppers and cook for a minute.
- Add The Red wine and scrape the the bottom of the pan with a wooden spook of the brown bits, nestled pork shoulder in pot and add the chicken stock, make a herb bundle: tie together 1 Medium stock of Rosemary,3 stocks of thyme and 1 fresh bay leaf with a kitchen twine and add to the pot, sprinkle the bacon on top, cover the pot and let it simmer, then transfer the pot oven and bake for 3-4 hours, streaming the fat off the braise with a spoon every hour, bake till pork is cook through and falls of the bone and tender.
- Remove pork shoulder and shred with two forks, get rid of the herb bundle, reserve some of the vegetables. Reserve 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups of braising liquid to make a gravy. In a Medium Sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk till they turned to a sandy colored paste, add the braising liquid and cook and stir till the braising liquid has thicken. Serve over your favorite homemade mash potatoes