25 June, 2015
You know every Summer I have this expectation that I would sit in my back yard in a nice shaded area, like a patio with a good book, a nice cool drink like, sweet tea or lemonade, soaking in the the summer heat that is upon us for the next 3 months but really in reality, it is way too hot to sit outside even in a shaded area with a good book and a good drink so I stay inside, but it does not stop me from imagining hahaha I know thats weird that I don’t do it but I though about it and really its what counts right and when it comes to sweets~ something refreshing and sweet would be appropriate like my summer bars~sweet~buttery and all around delicious~with orange zest and juice to freshen up your sweet tooth and with added pomegranate black to to amp up the freshness~its a perfect dessert to serve and bake on the Summer days coming ahead~with an Orange glaze, its perfect treat.
- 1 1/4 Cup flour
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tea bag of your favorite Pomegranate Black Tea
- Zest of 1 Large ripe Orange
- 4 1/2 Teaspoon of Fresh Orange juice
- Orange Glaze
- 4 Teaspoon Squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Pinch of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, butter and line a 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, butter parchment paper. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, orange zest, salt and baking powder.Set aside.In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment beat butter and sugars together till creamy, add egg yolk, Orange juice and vanilla extract or paste and continue to mix till combined, with the mixer on low gradually add flour mixture and beat till just combined.
- Spread evenly on prepared pan and bake in oven for 19 minutes, or till edges are lightly golden and top is set. Cool on baking pan completely on cooling rack.
- In a bowl whisk together unsalted butter, powdered sugar, orange juice, salt and milk to your desired consistency, when bars are cool drizzle on top, cut to squares and enjoy
~Use any kind of citrus you like and tea~if you find the bars too sweet reduce the granulated sugar to 1/4 cup~