31 March, 2016
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
I have probably said this a thousand times, and I will repeat myself over again, if your going to have something decadent, something really delicious for breakfast, Have a Coffee Cake, other a really good gooey sticky Cinnamon Roll for breakfast, a tender crumbly and moist coffee cake is the next best thing, like seriously and so you know that I am truly serious about coffee cakes, this recipe in particular took me twice to make~On my first try in attempting to make my Coffee Cake of my dreams, it was severely undercook, like really under cook, the second time, still undercook on, so I decided to take a day or two to review this coffee cake recipe I made and on my third time, well third time is the charm, FINALLY FINALLY, a tender crumbly delicious and soft moist Coffee Cake that will wake up the sense with cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of clove, a great cake that goes well with Coffee off course~what else would go great with a coffee cake~DUH!!!!!COFFEE~and if you say otherwise well them your missing out~and we cant be friends if you dont drink coffee in the morning LOL~ but seriously we cant.
- Cinnamon Streusel
- 2/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 Cup all purpose flour( use whole wheat for a healthier version)
- 1/2 Unsalted butter, room temperature(8 tablespoons)
- 2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Clove
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup of Sour cream ( full fat ricotta cheese can be substituted or use both)
- Lemon Cream cheese drizzle
- 2 Ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 Cup powdered sugar plus more if needed
- 1/2 juice of Lemon
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon of milk or heavy cream as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter and flour a 9 inch springform pan or spray with cooking or baking spray, set aside. Streusel: in a medium bowl combine the spices, sugar and flour in bowl, add in the melted butter and mix with hand or a whisk till small pea size crumble form, set aside.
- Cake: In a bowl Sift together four, spices, baking powder and baking soda. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes, add in vanilla and mix for a second, add in eggs one at a time and beat till incorporated, add in flour and sour cream in 3 addition ending with flour, mix till fully incorporated(scrape down the sides of the pan to make sure everything is incorporated) and spread half of the batter onto the pan, sprinkle half of the crumble on to the batter, and pour the remaining batter on top of the crumble, add the rest of the crumble on top. bake for 50-60 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, transfer to a cooling rack and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes, remove the sides of the pan and let it cool completely or serve warm with lemon cream cheese drizzle.
- Lemon Cream Cheese drizzle
- in a bowl whisk together cream cheese and powdered sugar, add vanilla and squeeze of half a lemon and continue whisking to your desired consistency, add more powdered sugar and milk as needed for desired consistency.
Every oven is different, I set my timer for 60 minutes and the coffee cake came out and was done at 55 minutes.