7 February, 2017
Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese Wild Rice Casserole
Its Cheesy and healthy at the same time, I mean what more could you ask for in a weeknight dish, especially a one pot casserole dish that is not too fussy with ingredients, with chicken broccoli and cheese, I think the combination is a win-win with added wild rice for healthy grains, its a sure fire dinner night that will have everyone wanting seconds, a dish I came up with after watching How is it made in the science channel, a very interesting show episode on how long grain wild rice is harvested, after finding out how healthy wild rice is, I had cook with it~the result is a dish that I will certainly be making on cold/ rainy weeknights.
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast, dice into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 Cups Broccoli Florets (about 2 medium heads of Broccoli)
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/2 Dice white onions
- 1 Small Carrot dice
- 1 Garlic clove finely mince
- 1 1/4 Cup milk
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Heaping tablespoon flour
- 7 Ounces of Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 Cup sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees, butter a 2 quart casserole dish with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook Rice according to packaged instruction( replace water with chicken broth or stock for added flavor)
- In a medium to large saute pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter, once pan is hot add broccoli and cook and saute for 1-2 minutes, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover, cook and steam broccoli for 3 minuted, turn of the heat and transfer steamed cook broccoli onto a bowl and set aside
- Add 1 tablespoon of Olive oil to the pan and let it heat up for a second, once oil is sizzling hot add onions and carrots and saute for 1 minute, add finely mince garlic and cook for 30 seconds, add bite size chicken and cook till no longer raw and opaque in color season with salt and pepper to taste.Transfer into broccoli and set aside. add 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter to pan, once butter is melted add 1 heaping tablespoons of flour and cook till flour turns into a sandy color paste, slowly pour milk into pan mixing till paste dissolve and milk has thicken, add 3.5 ounces of shredded cheese, remove pan for heat and add and mix sour cream to the cheese mixture, salt and pepper the cheese sauce to taste and pour cheese sauce into the broccoli and chicken mixture, add the cooked rice and and stir to combine and transfer to the prepared casserole dish, sprinkle the remaining 3.5 ounces of cheese onto the dish and bake for 20-30 minutes till bubbly. serve hot.
make the rice ahead of time, for more added flavor to the rice, replace water with chicken broth or stock. I use about 7 ounce bag of shredded cheddar cheese mixture (Sargento's 4 state cheddar Cheese)