29 March, 2017
Mango Burst Butter Crumb Bars
Spring is here, though I am going to miss fall and winter I am actually looking forward to Spring this year, warmer and hopefully not to hot of a weather this year, brighter colors and finally able to take out my slippers or sandals out of my closet or just buy a new ones all together, but Spring its here and aslo a promise I made a couple of months ago to make more “fresh” meals and desserts for the spring season, its starts with these buttery and bright Mango Burst Butter Crumb bars, yes these butter crumb bars are buttery and rich, opting for European butter which has a more richer flavor that your standard butter and using Mango Curd for a brightly sweet fruity change to the usual Tart and sweet Lemon/orange curd, but off course if you want to use Lemon Curd or other curds feel free to change it up. These bars also get added flavor from a mixture of finely mince thyme and rosemary and a drizzle of Lemon Cream cheese glaze, these bars aren’t your run of a mill bars, very unique and fresh and perfect for this spring season as a dessert of snack.
I use 14.2 oz (1 1/2 cup) of mango burst curd that can be found in most grocery stores or specialty stores, but feel free to use your favorite curd of choice, up to 2 cups. Feel free to omit the herbs or replace herbs with fresh lemon/orange zest.
- 2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 10 1/2 Tablespoons European butter cut into cubes( available at most grocery stores, if not on hand just use regular unsalted butter)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tahitian Vanilla extract(whatever vanilla you have on hand)
- 1/2 Teaspoon finely mince thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon finely mince rosemary
- 14 Oz Mango Burst Curd( or use any homemade or store bough curd of your choice up to 2 Cups)
- Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 ounce Room temperature Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Juiced of half a lemon
- 2 Cups powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a 8x8 Baking pan with foil that overhangs on the sides, butter or spray the baking pan and set aside. In a medium bowl whisk to combine, flour, salt, baking powder, herbs and sugar. Cut in the Eggs, butter and vanilla with a fork, hands or pastry blender till it resembles pea-like crumbs. The mixture should be crumbly. Spread half of the batter to the bottom of the pan pressing evenly, spread your preferred choice of curd on the crust evenly, spread and crumble remaining batter on top of the curd evenly and bake for 30-40 minutes until lightly brown on top, transfer to a cooling wrack to cool completely.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice to your desired consistency and drizzle onto cooled or warmed bars and enjoy.