9 January, 2018
Lemon & Blueberry Biscotti
Can we just leave 2017 behind, I mean it was a weird year for most of us and especially me, with alot of my inability to post more recent recipes and all that, alot of procrastination happened in 2017 that I would love to forget and move on, and to be honest 2018 is shaping up to be a good year, a brand new slate let 2017 past mistake be just that, a thing of the past so my first brand new recipe of 2018 is oddly enough something that is quite unexpected.
I’ve had biscotti’s before, all kinds with nuts and dried fruits, chocolates & biscotti’s with spices but there were never good, they always tasted manufactured and brittle and too crunchy with no moisture, and this is why its unexpected for me to make a biscotti because I didn’t like it, until I made my own and now, I love making biscotti, its crunchy with and pack-full of flavors from the lemon juice and zest, with a hint of almond and white chocolate chips, these biscotti’s for ever change my perception of a bad biscotti’s that I bought and tried at grocery stores or specialty stores. What I learn on the start of 2018 is that making your own Biscotti is better than store bought biscotti, my husband agrees, my family that have tried them agreed, and so have I, so start your 2018 year with something new and unexpected like my Lemon and blueberry Biscotti, you will absolutely love it with a cup of tea or coffee in the morning, its an absolute heaven to have as a snack or a little treat bursting with flavor.
- 1 3/4 Cup all purpose flour(bleached or unbleached)
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 White Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Cups dried blueberries
- 1/3 Cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
- Zest of 1 Large Lemon
- Juice of 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice (from the zested Lemon)
- 1/2 White Chocolate Chip for drizzling
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 1 Egg white, lightly beaten for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees, line a 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder,salt and lemon zest, blueberries and white chocolate chips, set aside.In another bowl combined melted butter, eggs, lemon juice, almond extract and vanilla extract, add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix till combined, take one parchment paper from your baking sheet, lightly flour and transfer the dough on flour parchment paper, divide dough in half and set one aside. Roll the dough into a 12 inch log and transfer dough with the parchment paper on the baking sheet, brush log with Egg white on the top and the sides of the dough and bake in preheated oven 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let biscotti log cool for 10 minutes. with the biscotti on the line parchment paper transfer to your work surface and cut to 3/4 inch pieces and turn cut size up on the parchment paper, place the parchment back to the baking sheet and return to the oven and bake for an additional 14 minutes, turning the cookies halfway till they are lightly golden in color. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Transfer Biscotti to cooling rack to cool.
- Melt 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of shortening either on a double broiler or in the microwave in 20-30 second increments, either drizzle white chocolate on cooled biscotti or dip the bottom flat side, your choice. Let white chocolate drizzled biscotti set on a parchment paper line baking sheet before serving.