Mac & Cheese ahhhhhhh yes everyone loves macaroni and cheese, it is a comfort food for most people and it brings wonderful child hood memories, I certainly have wonderful memories eating macaroni and cheese with my cousin. When I was a kid me and my cousin (Ruby) we would make Kraft’s Macaroni and cheese in the blue box, it was delicious and that cheese sauce was just so awesome and good and cheesy. I still love mac and cheese as an adult today and creating one of my own mac & cheese was really easy, I wish I new how easy it was when I was a kid, but know I know better. My Mac and cheese is all grown up because of the blend of cheeses and the pasta that I chose, now I’ve made mac and cheeses before and I think I just hit the spot with this one, it is simple and inexpensive, no expensive cheeses here, I just bought my favorite blend of shredded cheese ( Sargento’s 4 state cheddar shredded cheese I think is the best blend of cheeses out there) a different pasta and this time I chose.
I also added one of my favorite breakfast item to have in the morning~SMOKEY BACON~ and this Mac & Cheese is now me and my baby’s favorite mac & cheese.
Cheesy Smoked Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 Pound of Shell Pasta ( Orecchiette or your favorite pasta)
- 2 Bags of Sargento 4 State Cheddar Shredded Cheese ( 7.5 oz bag for the cheese sauce, the other for topping)
- 2 Cups of Milk
- 3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Flour
- 2 1/8 teaspoons of mustard powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ( or less ) onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3-4 Slices of thick smoked bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, line a baking sheet with foil and a cooling rack and place bacon, cook in the oven for 20 minutes or till bacon is crisp and cook all the way through ( to your preference or cook them how ever you like) crumble the cooked bacon in a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the box instructions. drain and place into a medium baking dish ( 8x8 square baking dish or individual ramekins)
- In a medium to large sauce pan, melt butter, once butter has completely melted add the flour and whisk till it turns into a sandy color paste, cooking and whisking for a minute, add in the milk and continue to whisk till the four is combine and the milk has thicken ( 5 minutes) add in the cheese and whisk till the cheese is combined and smooth, add the spices, salt and pepper to taste. Making sure the cheese sauce does not boil over. Add the cheese sauce over pasta to your choice of vessel, then mix in the cheese and add the remaining shredded cheese on top. bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-15 minutes till the cheesy top has melted and bubbly. Eat and enjoy.
- Note: I half the pasta shells, if you are making this for 4 just use the whole box of pasta of your choice, I have left over cheese sauce so I think the cheese sauce is enough for a 1 pound pasta.