Sometimes I have a hankering for mac and cheese, but to me honestly I am not a mac and cheese type of person so when I do make mac and cheese it has to be unique and different~hence for my one of many versions of mac & Cheese. I got tired of the same old yellow mac and cheese that is so popular in America and in the freezer section of the grocery store ( my Bf’s Favorite is Stofer’s Mac & Cheese YUCK lol) and the same old elbow macaroni pasta that every white bred American boys & girls grew up and remember. Instead of yellow I chose white~very very good white sharp cheddar cheese ( 8 oz) and use a different type of pasta Rigatoni~ and added some smokiness with Crispy Apple-Smoked bacon for our butcher shop ( or use regular bacon from the grocery store) and added some roasted Broccoli and whatcha got~Very Very Very Different kind of mac and Cheese~my version of mac and cheese~The Volume is turn up and what was familiar is different~call it my Grown Up Version of Mac & Cheese.
Smoky Bacon, Broccoli, White Cheddar Mac & Cheese
- 1 Pound rigatoni Pasta
- 8 oz Shredded Good White Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 large garlic clove lightly crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- 4-8 thick pieces of Good smoky bacon cooked and crumbled
- large head of Broccoli florets
- Crumbled bread crumb(optional)
- Cook Pasta according to the package and bacon to your desired method ( oven method: Place bacon in an foiled line baking sheet place bacon in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or till bacon is crisp to your desired, place broccoli florets to a foiled line baking sheet and cook with the bacon on the lower rack for 10-15 minutes of till they are somewhat brown and bright green) . In a small sauce pan heat milk and garlic clove to simmer on low heat, let garlic infuse with milk, once bubble starts forming on the side of the pan turn of the heat add freshly grated nutmeg ( to your desired taste) and salt and pepper to taste. On a Medium to large sauce pan melt 1/4 cup of unsalted butter on low heat, add 1/4 cup of butter and whisk till flour is incorporated with butter and has turn to a sandy color paste,remove the garlic clove and slowly pour milk and whisk till the milk has thicken, add the shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and broccoli. Once pasta is cook to "AL DENTE" pour cheese sauce over pasta, toss to incorporate cheese into pasta. serve hot and enjoy with crumbled bread crumbs.